Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Yes, Virginia ... you can take some time off

OK, let's get it out there. Time to tell the truth.

Being a sports information director is a never-ending cycle, there's never enough time to get everything done.

There's ALWAYS something to do. Some little task that "just can't wait" and "must be done ASAP."

But guess what? I have found these things can wait.

I really don't want to get into all the details of what my job and life are throwing at me right now. (Mainly because I don't want to come off like I am whining or complaining about it. To be honest, I am kind of looking forward to the challenges that await me.)

But I will say this: there is MUCH TO DO. So much to do.

So what did I do this weekend? I took some time to spend with my family.

On Friday and Saturday, my bride, the kids and I spent a couple of days in Knoxville, Tenn. Nothing special, just a little Chuck E. Cheese, swimming at a hotel pool and some roaming around the malls and stores. (Oh, and some Five Guys!!! LOVE THOSE BURGERS!!!)

Today (which is Sunday), I took my son and one of my brother-in-laws to the Bengals-Texans football game in Cincinnati. Had a great time watching some live NFL action.

Now, I admit I did squeeze in a little work in here and there. I mean, our football team was on the road so I had to get the release out. And there were some tasks that absolutely had to get done.

But for the most part, a lot of what's on the never-ending to-do list was postponed for another day.

You see, what can't be postponed is time with the family. My kids are only going to be little once. Plus, my bride does such a fabulous job managing and running our home that I she deserves to have my undivided attention. (Just wish I was able to give her that more often than I do.) And while it might seem like I can't afford to put work off, truthfully there are times that I can't afford not to.

I have found that when I make time for my family and for me, things at work still get done and life goes on. Since I make time for my loved ones, they help my out with my work by giving me time and space to play "catch up." Also, since I am generally refreshed after our family outings, I come back to my work refreshed and refocused and able to cross things off my to-do list at an amazing clip. (Well, it seems that way. LOL)

The job will always be there, but your family, your children and your loved ones won't always be there. Enjoy them while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment