Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Just like riding a bike ...

I must admit it. I have been spoiled.

For nearly the past three years, I've had a very good assistant. Gene did a lot here, and we were able to accomplish a great number of things in our sports information office because he handled a number of responsibilities and oversaw a lot of sports programs, which allowed me to do a vast number of other things.

Over the past three years, the amount of information, releases, etc. that we were able to crank out grew and grew each year. It's been amazing to see this department grow like it has. (Although, I believe we've become our own worst enemy in that we've created a monster LOL)

Unfortunately for me, Gene has left Union/me to take the head sports information director position at King (Tenn.) College. And I wish him all the luck in the world for he has a challenge ahead of him. Since King has not had a true SID before, he gets to build, shape and mold that department as he sees fit.

But now I've been left in a pickle - no assistant and it's crossover time.

This is only Day 2 of being without an assistant, and it's been truly eye-opening. Now, this was a one-man shop for the longest time. I did this all by myself for seven years before being given first a grad assistant and then a full-time assistant. So, I'm not new to the dance.

However, it has been so long since I've covered and worked in/with some sports that I've been having to clean out the cobwebs. I mean, it's been three years!!!

So, I've been shaking off some rust.

Lots of rust.

Like the old saying goes, "You don't know what you got until it's gone." Now, I did realize what I had in Gene and I truly appreciated all he did for me and Union. But I never imagined how much I miss having an assistant, especially just two days removed.

(To all you one-man shops out there - I SALUTE YOU!!!)

I have truly become the 'master juggler' at this point. It's crazy all that I've got going on.

It's been a little fun, as insane as that might sound.

But I must admit, I would not be able to do this without such a supportive wife and a very understanding athletic director and coaching staff. I can not say enough how important it is to have the support and encouragement from those people closest to you. Having a strong support system around you - in whatever line of work you do, not just in sports information, is a vital component to being successful.

But I digress.

This experience has been a good one for me. Having to work/cover sports that I haven't in some time is proving to be a good refresher course, and it's helping me sharpen my skills.

It is kind of like riding a bike. I remember how to do these tasks, but I'm just a bit rusty and need to work out the kinks.

This going to be a challenging time for me, but I so look forward to it. I'm eager to see how all these obstacles will be overcome. Not sure how it's going to be done, but it everything will be taken care of and conquered.

How do I know this? Because it must. It just has to be done.

Now, how much sleep I get between now and then remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment