Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It will always be there tomorrow

This is a crazy time of year. There is so much needing to get done.

Media guides to print. Bios to update online. Team and player photos to take, crop and post. Stories to write. Seasons to set up Stat Crew. Rosters to type in.

It is a vicious, never-ending cycle.

Or so it seems.

In times like this, it is easy to get overwhelmed ... in a hurry. There never seems to be enough time to get everything done, especially when one little thing goes wrong to throw all your plans out of whack.

It's enough to drive a SID insane.

I know because I am just about to that point. I won't bore you with all the gory, crazy details of the insanity that is my life right now because we've all got our stories. And truthfully, one is just as bad as the other.

But I am doing all I can to allow the weight of everything get me down. I refuse to kill myself to try to get everything done yesterday. It is crazy and not healthy.

Here are some things I am doing to hang onto some shred of sanity:

  • Exercise. Yes, I know I'm training for a half marathon, but I'd be exercising anyway. There is no better stress reliever than a good workout. Not only does it relieve the stress, but it's healthy and helps sharpen the mind as well.
  • Finish the pressing items first. Seems logical to do this, but occasionally we SIDs attempt to do too many things at once and don't get anything done in a timely manner. Complete the tasks that need to be done first first and then move on to the next item.
  • Make a to-do list. Honestly, I don't like to-do lists because mine only seems to grow instead of shrink. However, if you have a list in front of you, it is easy to plan your attack. Plus, it always feels good crossing an item off.
  • Do not work through dinner. I admit, I regularly work while eating lunch. But for dinner, I get away from the laptop and cell phone and enjoy a meal with my family. The meal might last only 30 minutes or so, but it's a nice breather before diving back into the madness.
  • Set a deadline for how late you are going to work. For me, except for when there is a game, I plan to be in bed by 10 p.m. Rest is vital to our survival. We work much better if we are rested than if we're on a fourth consecutive 20-hour day.

I realize we have lots of work to get done; we always do. Do what you can today but don't fret over what you haven't completed. After all, it will always be there tomorrow.

These are just some of the things I do to pace myself and try to remain calm during the storm. If there's something helps you through the rough times, please feel free to share.

1 comment: