Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Another day, another newspaper cuts staff

It's becoming so common now that it's easy to overlook. However, another big city newspaper has made staffing cuts.

Today's causality is the Commercial Appeal in Memphis, Tenn., which announced the elimination of 14 positions today.

I've talked about this before in a previous blog post, so none of this is really a surprise. But yet, with each new layoff in the newspaper industry, it stings a little bit.

I make no bones about my love for the newspaper. After all, it's where I got my start in the business and cut my teeth. And given my love for history, I tend to long for yesteryear and the 'good ole days.'

To prove this point, I offer as evidence my love for the old-time sports writers gone by. I have purchased and received many a book the writings of great and legendary writers. Right now, I'm in the middle of reading the writings of Red Smith, a must read for any sports fan, aspiring sports writer and/or lover of baseball.

With all these newspaper cutbacks and layoffs, it leads me to wonder: where are all the great writers going to come from, especially sports writers? This especially true when you take in consideration that the Washington Post recently eliminated its sports section.

You read that right.

E-LIM-I-NA-TED.

Buh-bye.

Adios.

Why you might ask? Other than the obvious 'we'll save money this way' answer, the Post did so in large part that the local professional and collegiate teams had their own websites doing a fine job with reporting the happenings of their programs. So, the Post figures, why not just post a link on our website directing readers to the schools' and pro teams' websites?

With moves like this, I believe the days of the newspaper are numbered. I won't lie, it'll be hard to see it go, kind of like FINALLY getting rid of your favorite T-shirt from college even though it old, fade and worn out. You know it's time to give it up, but you just want to hang on to it because you had such good times wearing it and it brings back some great memories.

But there comes a point when it's time to let it go.

And for newspapers, that time is fast approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment