Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

I love my job, but ...

I'm not going to lie: I love my job.

There isn't anything I'd rather be doing professionally than being a sports information director. (OK, that's a lie. I'd love to be a pro athlete, but well, that ship sailed long before I ever reached the dock.)

Getting to work in athletics is a blast. Ninety-nine times out of 100 this job doesn't feel like a job. No two days ever are the same, and there's always something new happening.

Yet, there is one thing I am not a fan of, and I'm going through it right now.

Currently, I am in a stretch of 21 games in five days.

That's 21 games ... in person ... in less than week.

As part of this SIDpolooza, part of five-day stretch involved a 2.5-hour road trip so I could take in 12 volleyball matches in our conference tournament. It's been so crazy my days are running together. I spent all day yesterday (Friday, Nov. 12) trying to convince myself that it wasn't Saturday. After all, I never have four basketball games to work on a Friday. NEVER.

Had it not been the fact that I have a football game today (Saturday, Nov. 13), I'm not sure I would've figured it out on my own.

But I don't mind any of that. All that is just part of the job, because if you are like me, all the sports seasons seem to run together.

What I don't like is the feeling I have going home, seeing my family and not having a clue what has been going on in their lives and vice versa. My last two days have been filled with home events, but when you get home and everyone is asleep and you wake up before everyone to begin the cycle again, it's hard to remain connected to your loved ones.

When I see and/or talk with my bride, I have the overwhelming urge to apologize for being so absent. But doing so is pointless because I know how the next little bit of the conversation will go. I'll apologize, she'll be understanding but add something about 'loving what I do.' I'll admit that I do love my job before we go through this cycle again.

And it's the truth.

I love my job, but I would love to see my family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment